The following applies to HP Slate 7 tablets with Android 4.1/Jelly Bean operating system.
Resetting factory settings when inside the OS:
- From the Home screen, touch the All apps icon, and then touch the Settings icon.
- In the Personal section, touch Backup & reset.
- Touch Factory data reset.
- Touch Reset tablet.
- If you set a lock screen password for your tablet, enter your password when prompted. The tablet will power off and a recovery system screen shows the reset process. When the reset is complete, the tablet will reboot.
- With the tablet powered off, press and hold the volume down , volume up , and power buttons at the same time.
- When an HP logo appears on the screen, release the buttons. After a few seconds, the Android system recovery menu appears.Use the volume down button to move the highlighted selection to wipe data/factory reset.
- Press the power button to select.
- The screen displays Confirm wipe of all user data? THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE. Use the volume down button to move the highlight down to Yes — delete all user data .
- Press the power button to confirm and begin the reset.
- A recovery system screen shows the reset process. Wait for the reset process to complete. When the screen says Data wipe complete, highlight reboot system now , and then press the power button to select.
The above is an summery/ extract from: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=5373939&prodTypeId=5169094&objectID=c03678322